truth: i love christmas and everything that comes with it. snow, cookies, fire places, (real) christmas trees, family gatherings, frost on windshields, hot cider, christmas music and movies, etc. around the holidays, my house is a melting pot of all things holiday related and i do believe we could communicate with each other by using nothing but lines from christmas movies. so, since the best way to spread christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear, without further ado here is my top ten list of holiday movies (i’ve already watched 4 this season), along with my favorite quote from each movie, bc that’s how we roll.
1. christmas vacation. it’s a hochgesang family tradition and i could fill an entire post with my favorite quotes, i mean, have you seen my header? but my favorite, and the one i often say to my brothers: “get off meeeeee, you little fungusssssss.”
2. love actually. i mean, this doesn’t count as a quote, but this may well be my favorite scene from a movie. of all time. ever. as for a quote: “let’s go get the shit kicked out of us by love.”
3. elf. “buddy the elf, what’s your favorite color?” “francisco, that’s fun to say.” “watch out, the yellow ones don’t stop.” ok, you get the idea.
4. a christmas story. “fa ra ra ra rah, ra ra ra rahhhh.”
5. the family stone. “you have a freak flag. you just don’t fly it.”
6. the holiday. “i have found almost everything ever written about love to be true. shakespeare said, ‘journeys end in lovers meeting.’ what an extraordinary thought.”
7. home alone. “buzz your girlfriend, wuff!” “santy don’t visit the funeral home, little buddy.”
8. prancer. “i do believe, i do believe.”
9. miracle on 34th street. “faith is believing when common sense tells you not to. don’t you see? it’s not just kris that’s on trial, it’s everything he stands for. it’s kindness and joy and love and all the other intangibles.”
10. frosty the snowman. “i suppose it all started with the snow. you see, it was a very special kind of snow. a snow that made the happy happier, and the giddy even giddier…for it was the first snow of the season. and as any child can tell you, there’s a certain magic that comes with the very first snow, especially when it falls on the day before christmas. for when the first snow is also a christmas snow…”
honorable mention: little women. “we’ll all grow up one day, meg. we might as well know what we want.”
the mere thought of these makes me want to grab one, along with a blanket, lilly and some hot chocolate and let my cares melt away. what are your favorites?